Published 8 September 2020

What licence can I choose?

Open access books are typically assigned a Creative Commons (CC) licence which is a public copyright licence that enables the free distribution of otherwise copyrighted work under specific terms.

There are different Creative Commons licences which allow for your open access book to be used and shared in different ways. Sometimes your funder will specify the licence type under which your open access book must be published so it is advisable to check this first. If you are affiliated to an institution, your research support team may be able to offer you guidance on this topic. In addition, some publishers do not offer all of the licence types, or they might charge a different rate for the book processing charge (BPC) depending on their business model and the type of licence you require. It is also worth checking whether you will retain copyright.

The following toolkit article(s) address(es) this question:

Choosing a licence

Last edited on 8 September 2020, at 12:28 (+0000)